The instructions on this page are for upgrading from ListMessenger Light or Pro 0.5.0, 0.9.3, 0.9.4, 0.9.5, or 1.0.0 to version 2.2.1 only.
Always backup your ListMessenger database using a tool such as MySQLDump or PHPMyAdmin
before upgrading. If you do continue without a valid backup and something goes wrong, we may not be able to help you restore your existing installation. Make a backup.
- If you are currently logged into ListMessenger please log out and close your web-browser to ensure your session data is clean.
- Download the latest version of ListMessenger from the ListMessenger Members Area.
Login via FTP to your webserver and rename your current listmessenger program directory to "listmessenger_backup" or something to that effect. In doing this, if something goes wrong, it will be very simple for you to revert back to the original version while seeking assistance.
Example if your current listmessenger installation is running at http://www.yourdomain.com/listmessenger then rename the "listmessenger" directory to "listmessenger_backup" so that it exists (non-functioning of course) at http://www.yourdomain.com/listmessenger_backup.
- Unpack the new ListMessenger distribution file with your favourite upzip / untar program and rename the extracted directory to "listmessenger" or whatever your previous installations directory was named.
Upload the entire ListMessenger directory tree (all folders and files) to a web-server which meets the minimum system requirements.
Please Note: You do not need to upload the "setup.php" file or "setup" directory.
The following directories, which by default reside within the ListMessenger program directory need to be writable by the user that your web-server and / or PHP runs as. This can generally be done through your FTP client such as Filezilla or Transmit and setting the permissions to 777.
Unix / Linux Web-Servers: Please chmod the those directories to 777 using either your FTP client or by command line by entering chmod 777 directoryname.
Windows Web-Servers: I believe that on most Windows servers directories are already writable by the user in which your web-server runs; however, if they are not then you should be able to set this information by right clicking on the directories and allowing everyone to read / write data.
- Copy the old ListMessenger licence key file "key.php" file to the new ListMessenger directory.
Open your browser and head directly to the ListMessenger setup program.
The setup application will ask you for your database connection information, and when it does you must enter exactly the same information (including TABLES_PREFIX) that appears in your listmessenger_backup/includes/config.inc.php file.
- Finally If you had previously uploaded public/images or public/files you will need to copy them to the new public/images and public/files folders.
After you have verified everything is working, you can delete the old "listmessenger_backups" folder that exists as it's no longer needed. Please only do this once you have verified everything is working and files have been copied successfully.